Wednesday, August 16, 2017

How to Find Your Writing Muse And Keep It

             Freelancers' motivation to finally sit down, place the tips of your fingers upon the keyboard and type away varies in nature and degrees of success. Some lead this type of occupation because they choose freelancing instead of working 9-5 in a crowded and far-distanced office, others cannot imagine their lives without pouring words onto the paper (a Microsoft Word document, to be precise) or have their own indescribable driving factors for it. However, regardless of the motives, each one of the freelancers has to find and keep their writing muse for the sake of a skillfully completed project – first of all; and for the sake of not feeling lonely and desperate when sitting in front of the computer and attempting for a project – last, but far not least.

             Writing muse is a very unstable creature. It may come when you are least ready for it, and suddenly leave right when everything is going way too smoothly. The message which is being passed here is a simple fact that a freelancer, a person who has abandoned mundane routine of being trapped in an office and adopted to the rapid pace of social changes, needs not to rely on their writing muse solely.



             Undoubtedly, muse, inspiration, aspiration, passion, ambition or whatever other word for the indication of a lifted inner spirit which helps you finish off a project timely and nicely comes to your mind, is important. Finding it, keeping it, nurturing opts for success, however, let us be honest – this is not a sole key to success. So, the soil in which you plant a feeble sprout of a future muse has to be fertilized with your own set of fundamental skills needed for successful freelancing: writing skills, wise time-management and pleasant working environment – whatever the domain you are working in.

Good luck and may your muse stay always by your side! 😊

2 comments:

  1. I wandered into your blog from Quora -- it's amazing what happens when one gets adventurous.

    I get a kick out of writing -- it is a fun thing to do for me. I figure that is my muse. If I am not having fun I might as well hang up my pen....er keyboard.

    Many times at various jobs in my career I was sucked into writing projects, be it presentations, procedures, 'white papers' - which is an analytical dissertation, and even once asked to start a corporate newspaper. And none of my jobs had anything to do with writing. I learned to not even attempt start a writing project until I got the mental 'giggles'. That is how I describe it -- an aura of flippancy an irreverence. It is those times that my brain churns so fast that my fingers can't keep up.

    I've used writing to my personal advantage too. In grade school I contracted with other students to write love notes for them to their love interests. Soon I accidentally ended up writing love notes to myself in answer to a love note that I had written for another. Sigh...I think I charged a nickel per note.

    In college in a Creative Writing course, I would finish my in-class assignments so quick that I would volunteer writing the assignment for the struggling lovely lady sitting next to me. Did I say she was lovely?

    So today as a retired grouch, I write for fun and a little or no profit.

    So your treatise on Finding Your Muse caused me to stop and ponder and try to understand exactly what my muse was.

    Thanks.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jerry,

      Thank you so much for your feedback here!

      Your story is a great continuation of my short article. As you can see, finding one's Muse is not an easy task and, I believe, we should also consider here what we need her/ him for :)

      Thank you for being such an active reader! I appreciate it!

      Laura

      Delete

Featured Post

Why Bad Feedback Is Sometimes a Good Thing?

                        Receiving negative feedback may hit quite hard on our self-confidence . However, negative feedback may tur...

Popular Posts